Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Tween Tuesday: The Girl Who Could Fly


Well, this was a very strange read. It starts off sounding reminiscent of "Because of Winn-Dixie", with a precocious young girl and a folksy accent. And then suddenly the girl is taken from her home to an underground school, and the tone turns very sci-fi. The mix of folksiness and sci-fi was a bit discombobulating - the writing was very good and I enjoyed the concept, but I didn't fall in love the way I'd hoped. The characters were charming but a bit superficial and glossed-over. It wasn't as in-depth as I prefer my science fiction, but it may be a good entry point for the younger generation. It apparently has a new cover for its paperback release, which I think will be more appealing to younger kids. Listed as grades 4-7, but I'd say more like grades 4-6.

1 comment:

  1. I haven't read this one yet, but I agree the new cover is more eyecatching.

    ReplyDelete