Monday, April 18, 2011

Review: Across the Universe

Title: Across the Universe
Author: Beth Revis
Publisher: Razorbill (January 11, 2011)
Rating: 4/10

Summary: A Story of Love, Murder, and Madness Aboard an Enormous Spaceship Bound for the Future
 
Amy is a cryogenically frozen passenger aboard the vast spaceship Godspeed. She expects to wake up on a new planet, 300 years in the future. But fifty years before Godspeed's scheduled landing, Amy's cryo chamber is unplugged, and she is nearly killed. 

Now, Amy is caught inside an enclosed world where nothing makes sense. Godspeed's passengers have forfeited all control to Eldest, a tyrannical and frightening leader, and Elder, his rebellious and brilliant teenage heir. 

Amy desperately wants to trust Elder. But should she? All she knows is that she must race to unlock Godspeed's hidden secrets before whoever woke her tries to kill again.



After reading so many positive reviews for this one, I was extremely excited to pick it up! Alas, it was not a book for me. I found myself annoyed by the plot, the characters, and the writing style. I really hate when that happens, but sometimes a book just grates me the wrong way. I've seen others suggest that while this is a fun book for non-sci-fi readers, it doesn't work for fans of the genre, and that may be it. I've struggled trying to pinpoint where this book lost me. It felt over-simplified and cold, and I didn't become emotionally involved with the characters. Oh well. Not every book will work for every person.

1 comment:

  1. I really liked this book, but not everyone likes the same thing! :)

    I do have to say that it wasn't as super amazing as I thought it was going to be, but I think that's because I built it up in my head a lot before it was released.

    Jennifer of Little Shelf

    ReplyDelete