Friday, December 16, 2011

Review: Daughter of Smoke and Bone

Title: Daughter of Smoke and Bone
Author: Laini Taylor
Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (September 27, 2011)
Rating: 8/10
Source: library





It seems a little strange, but I'm sad that this book is only rated 8 out of 10. For the first...two thirds? Maybe? It was so amazing, and a complete and solid TEN that I was seriously giddy about. I loved Karou. I loved her life, her art and her friends and her crazy, chimera family. I loved her necklace of wishes. But in the end, I wasn't completely on board with the twists the book took. Well, that sounds too strong. I am still totally going to read the sequel, and when the movie comes out (oh, yes) I will probably see it. But I feel a little iffy and disquieted about the ending. The need to avoid spoilers is working against clarity in this review, which is part of why I put it off for so long. Let it just be stated that the love story, while I initially enjoyed it, kept me from fully embracing this book in the end. 


So - I still recommend this book to fantasy readers with the minor reservation that if you are a hard-hearted curmudgeon like me it might frustrate you.

No comments:

Post a Comment