Thursday, February 24, 2011

Review Blitz #1

Hey y'all! I've not abandoned my little corner of the internet, I've just been struggling with the adjustment of returning to work. When you have less time home with your kids and husband, it can be hard to give any of it up to work on a blog! And don't even imagine I can stay up late to do it - that's just crazy talk. On a wild night, I'm still in bed by 10 and I like it that way. Moms of tiny kids need all the sleep they can get, my 2 year old does not understand the concept of weekends and generally wakes up at 6:30 every. single. morning.

So, what to do? Well, I'm still keeping track of my reading and plan to do my best to get back into the reviewing habit. But until that happens, I plan to do a once-a-week Review Blitz! *dun-dun-duh*


Maggie Quinn: Girl vs. Evil series by Rosemary Clement-Moore  8/10

These books were hilarious and clever, reminiscent of Buffy at its peak! (that is high praise, from me.) I adore Maggie, our reluctantly psychic protagonist, and her motley crew of friends, and the many pop culture references. They were so fun, I read them in less than 3 days, and was delighted and enthralled as Maggie took on demons, monsters and evil sorority girls! Bonus - a love interest that reminds me of a young Giles! Hey, I can't be the only one who developed a slightly inappropriate crush on Anthony Stewart Head back in the day.

The Big Crunch by Pete Hautman
7/10

This book was a sweet love story from a male perspective - although it is set in high school I was reminded (in a good way!) of the movie (500) Days of Summer. The somewhat terse writing style was hard to get into at the start, but I was engrossed pretty quickly and in the end really enjoyed this book that was a nice departure from my usual style.



Dragon Slippers by Jessica Day George
9/10

I snagged this J fiction book because I adored the author's YA fairy tale retellings, Princess of the Midnight Ball and Princess of Glass. If anything, I loved this original fantasy even more! It is so sweet and charming. I really enjoy the way Jessica Day George works crafts into the plots of her books so seamlessly (hah!) - the soldier Galen's knitting in her YA books, and Creel's sewing and embroidery in this book. As a crafty type person myself, it makes me happy, and I hope it inspires readers! Our library's copy of the sequel has been overdue for over a year, so I'm going to pester someone to re-order it. *grabby hands*

That's it for today, hope to be back in action tomorrow for the Follow and Hop fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment