Friday, November 9, 2012

Friday Ramblings

While listening to the audiobook of The Diviners by Libba Bray (the audio version is HIGHLY recommended, very well done!) I was struck with a thought about my personal literary taste.

There was a particularly poetic turn of phrase, and my immediate reaction was annoyance. I actually don't dislike poetry, but when it comes to my prose, flowery overdone language is one of my biggest pet peeves.

This is not a big problem in The Diviners, Libba Bray is an amazing writer and most of her setting and imagery is wonderfully done, without crossing the line in my mind. There was just one sentence that really jumped out at me. Some books, however, fling themselves over that line as if it is a starting mark for the triple jump at the Olympics.

And that is fine, of course. Everyone has different tastes, and to some people a more poetic, lyrical tone is exactly what they want from a book. Some books that had that tone, I felt, were Delirium by Lauren Olivier, Shatter Me by



No comments:

Post a Comment