Saturday, November 3, 2012

Reading round-up

It's been a while since I've posted about the books I'm reading, so these cover 2 weeks! Luckily, during NaBloPoMo I'll be more motivated to keep up with doing it weekly.

The Spindlers by Lauren Olivier

Cute middle grade read, very imaginative! Olivier's second novel for young readers has a smart, feisty young female protagonist and a fast-paced plot full of creative twists. I really enjoyed it.

7/10






Strange Angels series by Lili St. Crow (Strange Angels, Betrayals, Jealousy, Defiance, Reckoning)

Definitely action-packed, and full of sarcastic humor, this series started out strong but kind of sputtered out for me in the end. You can't say Dru didn't change, because she undergoes kind of a complete transformation, but there were a lot of issues that never got addressed and really bothered me. I almost feel like the author had started out trying so hard to make it gritty and realistic (emotionally, obviously, not situationally - vampires, werewolves, zombies, OH MY) that she ended up kind of disliking some of her own characters and felt unable to give the readers a more resolved ending. That's just a vibe I got, of course. It seems like there could easily be more books, in a spin-off or continued series, so we'll see. I'll probably pick them up.  6.5/10

The Seven Tales of Trinket by Shelley Moore Thomas

A wonderful middle grade read full of adventure, hope, and amazing stories. Trinket is the daughter of a storyteller, and as she travels by his map to try to find him after her mother dies, she collects stories herself and works towards fulfilling her dream of becoming a storyteller in her own right. The writing is lyrical and the stories are just magical and wonderful, and I loved Trinket and her steadfast friend Thomas the Pig Boy. Just lovely.  8/10



The Crimson Crown by Cinda Williams Chima

I adore the Seven Realms, so I was a little sad to start the final book in the quartet, The Crimson Crown. I loved the first 3, and this one didn't disappoint, of course! Political intrigue, magic, history, love...there is so much in these stories that you feel completely immersed in this amazingly detailed world and you just want to stay there. I loved Han, and Raissa, and Dancer, and basically everyone. Chima has hinted that she has more stories to tell in the Seven Realms, and I will gladly pick up every one. 9/10

Beta by Rachel Cohn

Urgh, this book. Lots of potential, but in the end it just frustrated and bothered me. It's hard to review without spoilers, and I would never include spoilers! But that means a lot of what I ranted to my husband about last night after finishing has to go unsaid. Well. The treatment of clones is, of course, intended to be seen as terrible, but there is so little justification given for their use and existence that it seems improbable. There is a scientific issue that seems sketchy to me, but I can't complain about that without spoilers. I'll just say, this book really bugged me. The writing was fine, which is where it gets its few points. I've loved a lot by Rachel Cohn, but this book did not work for me.  3/10



No comments:

Post a Comment