Monday, October 15, 2012

Best books of 2012, so far

Barely 2 1/2 months to go until the end of the year, and I've got 50 books to go to reach my goal of 250 for the year. It seems like a lot, but Shelfari tells me I'm ahead of pace. Fingers crossed I don't get into a reading funk! 

I've had a fairly good reading year, very few books I actively disliked and several that blew me away. Now that we're reaching the end (and I'm so behind on official reviewing that I'll never catch up) I wanted to share my favorites so far. These are books I rated 5 stars on Shelfari, which translates to a 10 on my blog rating scale.

 The Disenchantments by Nina LaCour:

A smart, bittersweet look at the summer after high school for a boy and the girl he loves, and her terrible band. I was not expecting how much I would love this, not being a fan of bands or tattoos particularly, but the characters really got under my skin and I was completely rooting for them by the end.


 Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein:

Well, everyone and their brother has posted a glowing review of this book, and for good reason. Powerful, amazing writing and characters that will break your heart combine to wonderful effect. Hard to push on the teens at the library, but worth it.
 The Fault in Our Stars by John Green:

Again, not suffering from a lack of press on this one, but I do try not to let the fact that others are saying something keep me quiet. I can sometimes be contrary but the smart, funny characters in this book made me fall head over heels for them, even though I knew from the start someone would cause me pain. Amazing.
 My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick:

This was a bit of a surprise! I was expecting a cute romance, fluffy and forgettable, and instead got hit in the gut with a moral quandary and a first love that knocked my socks off.







Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas:

Ah, it's like it was written with me in mind, I tell you. A smart, powerful assassin? A competition to the death? Unlikely love interests? Difficult decisions about whom to trust? Oh, I loved it all, even if one angle of the love triangle was much more perfect to my mind. I can't believe this was Maas's debut, I'll definitely pick up future books from her.


The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater:

I wasn't sure what to expect when I picked this up. I adored Ballad and Lament, was utterly meh on the Wolves of Mercy Falls series, and while I liked The Scorio Races, I wasn't as captivated as other reviews I read. 

It took me about half a chapter to start bouncing and grinning. This was the Stiefvater of Ballad and Lament, powerful and beautifully written, mysterious and charming without being overbearing. I loved loved loved this book and can't wait to return to the magical quest with Blue and the Raven Boys.

So, those are the best of the best so far! I'll try and post occasional reviews for the rest of the year, although as I mentioned the blog will be broadening its view as we go. 








No comments:

Post a Comment