Sunday, May 27, 2012

Books this week

Kitchen Counter Cooking School by Kathleen Flinn

 Great little book looking into the reasons/excuses people give for not cooking more at home, and how we can adjust our thinking and skills to make home cooking simple and affordable. Good stuff, very quick and readable.



 


The Shape of Desire by Sharon Shinn

How do you make a book about shapeshifters and murder boring? Hard to say, but definitely accomplished here. I've liked other books by this author, but this one fell flat to me.







Feed by Mira Grant

I'd heard WONDERFUL things about these books, but I am not a zombie person. Then I found out that it was the same author who writes the Toby Daye books (pseudonyms, so confusing!) and put it on hold right quick. LOVED it, no shock. Yes, there are zombies, but there is not the gratuitous description of blood and gore and corpses that some writers find irresistible when presented with the topic. This was a smart, funny, as-realistic-as-possible zombie book that I loved.



Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein

OOF. What can I say, that hasn't been said already, and better? This is an amazingly written book, full of heart and friendship and determination, and it broke my heart and made me want to hug it to my chest and never let it go, but the perils of librarianship mean I had to just check it back in and put it on the shelf to hopefully be read by ALL the teens. I finished it in one day, I could not put it down. I fell so in love with the characters. You should read this book. Yes.

1 comment: