Sunday, June 10, 2012

Books I Read 6/4-6/10

Blackout by Mira Grant
(8/10)

I already posted about my reaction to the series as a whole - to sum up, YOU SHOULD READ THIS! But, about the book in particular I was sometimes frustrated by the alternating narrators, since we sometimes left characters in storylines I was dying to get back to. Obviously, that was meant to build suspense, but it bugged. The ending fell a little short, I think it could have used a bit more of an epilogue-type view of the new world, instead of the 'BAM!' - The End style. But, seriously, these are just nit-picks. Loved it.

Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore
(8/10)

A week of finales! I loved Graceling and Fire, and I loved Bitterblue as well, but I found myself a bit frustrated for a lot of the middle of the book. I was mostly annoyed with the characters from Graceling, who seemed to have utterly abandoned Bitterblue as a 10-year-old queen with way too little guidance. I truly enjoyed the book, though, and will absolutely read anything Kristin Cashore puts out next.



Storybound by Marissa Burt
(5/10)

This one did not work for me - a bummer, the cover art is gorgeous, but I just found the writing to stilted and the storyline too generic and full of cliches. The start of a middle-grade series, I may or may not pick up the next...






The Sword in the Stone by T.H. White
(7/10)

A classic I somehow missed! I love the old Disney movie based on this book, I watched it countless times growing up. The book was great, I appreciated the greater depths given to all the side characters and the loving depictions of the world at that time. Amazing stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment