Sunday, June 3, 2012

Books This Week

A Visit From the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan (8/10)

I've been attempting to read more adult fiction and non-fiction, and this was the Pulitzer winner for fiction last year so I grabbed it. When I started it I thought I was going to hate it, but I loved it by the end. A series of interconnected vignettes that packs a punch and keeps you guessing - not your standard plot or structure, but I ended up liking it.





Let's Pretend This Never Happened by Jenny Lawson (9/10)

I love the Bloggess! She is hilariously amazing! I can giggle for ages if the phrases "Knock knock, motherfucker!" or "The motherfucking souffle is ruined!" pop into my head. Thanks to Jenny Lawson, that happens way more than it should. Vulgar, yes, disturbing, yes, (there were WAY TOO MANY dead animals in her childhood!) but completely real and hilarious as well. 
 



Deadline by Mira Grant (7/10)

Not as amazing as Feed, but really there was pretty much no chance it could be. My hold for Blackout came in today (very speedy, LexPub!) and it might kill me to wait until Tuesday, which is the only reasonable time for me to make it to the library. Oh, how I want to be unreasonable! Not talking about the book here on purpose to avoid spoilers, but you should read this series.





Run Like a Mother by Dimity McDowell and Sarah Bowen Shea (7/10)

While the writers were WAY more hardcore than I am, with my whole 2 weeks of running (minus 2 days that I was sick) it was still a good resource for information about running and how to balance it against life with a family. Really enjoyed reading it.





Cat Girl's Day Off by Kimberly Pauley (6/10)

A cute, fluffy book - some people have powers, and while Nat Ng's family all have impressive, useful powers Nat... can talk to cats. She is desperate to keep her lame power a secret, but of course events spiral out of control and Nat ends up saving the day with her cat powers. Like I said, cute, but pretty shallow. Loved having a minority MC, and a gay BF who gets a little angst-free romance, and it did its duty in being a light break from all the WWII and zombie action I had going down.




Castle of Shadows by Ellen Renner (7/10)

Middle-grade adventure - Princess Charlie's mother disappeared 6 years ago, and when she randomly discovers a clue to the disappearance, Charlie must decide who to trust and how to deal with a castle in turmoil. A fast and enjoyable read, although I found the villains a bit one-dimensional and boring, and some of the characters were frustrating. Not bad for a debut novel, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment